SalaryHourly Rate: $30.00
Modern Electric Water Company (Modern) is searching for an Accounting Specialist to join our team. This part-time position will report to the Comptroller with flexibility around scheduling, working between 20-40 hours per week. As part of our dynamic team, you will play an integral role in our small, customer owned, not-for-profit utility, that delivers water and electricity to the shareholders of the City of Spokane Valley.
Modern offers employees a progressive working culture, devoted to providing excellent public service. Our employees work in a fast-paced environment where creativity, innovation, involvement, teamwork, and professional development is supported and encouraged. Modern is also committed to providing a work environment conducive to the safety, health, and well-being of its workforce.
- Enters, compiles or extracts data into accounting software or spreadsheets.
- Operates computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Prepares and keeps financial and business transaction data up to date, applying accepted procedures, and prepares reports to ensure accurate accounting records.
- Performs complex clerical and entry-level accounting activities.
- Compiles and checks source documents, such as vouchers, invoices, purchase orders, and cash receipts, for completeness and accuracy, and prepares reports.
- Verifies and posts details of business transactions to appropriate ledgers and journals, and totals accounts.
- Performs financial calculations, such as amounts due, interest charges, balances, discounts, equity, and principal.
- Audits routine data entry management for accounting records including accounts payable, billing, and accounts receivable.
- Correct financial records as necessary, checks figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, and proper codes.
- Operate computers programmed with accounting software to record, store, and analyze information.
- Prepare complete, accurate, and timely financial statements and reports for management staff, auditors, regulatory agencies, and financial institutions
- Assist external auditors in the preparation of electric and water annual financial statements
- Coordinate other activities associated with the annual year-end audit
- Coordinate the retention and management of financial accounting files and documents
- Maintain an inventory of finance and accounting records
- Review inventory records for accuracy
- Reconciles records of bank transactions.
- Reconcile or note and report discrepancies found in records
- Perform related duties as required
- Ensure the compliance of utilities accounting transactions with generally accepted accounting (GAAP) principles and federal regulatory agencies
- Responding appropriately to a vendor, client, and internal requests.
- Proofs accounting reports for clerical accuracy
- Perform related duties as required
How to Apply:
Interested individuals must submit a Modern Electric Water Company employment application and a current resume. We ask that you please include a cover letter indicating why you are interested in this position and what you can contribute, based upon your experience and education. Please forward your resume, application, and cover letter via email to Modern Human Resources. Resumes, applications, and cover letters may also be sent to Modern Electric Water Company, Human Resources Dept., P.O. BOX 14008, Spokane Valley, WA 99214.
Hiring Process: After review of initial applications, selected applicants will be contacted for additional information and possible interview.
Job Related Qualifications
Associate degree with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance – required
Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting – preferred
At least three years of increasingly responsible experience in Accounting; related business school or college courses may be substituted for up to one year of experience
Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography, and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology. Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel.
Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Economics and Accounting - Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking, and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming