Modern Electric Water Company purchases its power for Bonneville Power Administration. Included in your billing rates are mandated state and federal fees including funding to protect fish and wildlife.
The new budget monthly charge will be re-calculated based on consumption history for the previous 12 months each May.
To apply, please verify that you fulfill the following criteria:
- A minimum of 1 year as a resident at the current address.
- Your May bill must be paid in full leaving a zero balance.
- If renting, please have your landlord call our office to give enrollment approval.
For more information, call our office at (509) 928-4540, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Residential Water Meters are read and billed based on a valid reading twice a year. Historically, water usage during the winter and spring months is low so the remaining 10 months, your water usage is estimated based on a calculated 1,000-cubic feet times the current usage rate. During the 2 true-up billing months when a valid reading is entered, any usage over the allotted monthly 1,000-cubic feet will be billed to your account. Any over-estimated usage age will be credited to your account. Additionally, your bill will list the Read Type as “Valid” instead of “Estimated”.
Close to half of our home’s electricity cost comes from heating and cooling expenses for air and water. Extreme weather conditions can cause a major impact on your bill. If you are interested in an energy audit please call our partner in energy efficiency, Efficiency Services Group, at (888) 883-9879.
If you can help pay a bill for a household in crisis, please consider Project Share. Visit Give to Project Share's website. Donations may also be included with your monthly payment made payable to Modern.
Please call Modern Electric Water Company’s Customer Service Center at (509) 928-4540, Extension 1, if you are having difficulty making your monthly payment. Additionally, the following agencies also offer payment assistance:
Spokane Neighborhood Action Program (SNAP), (509) 456-7110, distributes assistance funds during the heating season. Grants are based on income and family size. Contact SNAP for more information on the SNAP website.
Modern Help or Modern Senior Help, (managed by Valley Partners), (509) 927-1153, funding is available for qualified Modern Electric Water Company customers.
Project Share, (509) 456-7110, assists with funds based upon income and family size. Project Share was established to provide emergency energy assistance to those not eligible for heating assistance or who have exhausted all other available energy assistance sources. Funding comes from contributions made by utility customers
Washington Information Network 211, call 211 for health and human service information and referrals. More information is available at Win 211's website
The Automatic Payment Program automatically deducts the exact amount of your payment from your checking or savings account 14 days after your billing date. Withdrawal dates may vary slightly from month to month. To enroll in the program, please have your account at a zero balance, and complete and return an Automatic Payment Enrollment Form (PDF) with a voided check.
Cash, checks, money orders, VISA, Discover, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit card payments are accepted at Modern’s Headquarters, located at 904 North Pines Road, Spokane Valley, WA 99206.
Checks or money orders with your remittance stub may be sent to us via the United States Postal Service (USPS). Please mail your payment to PO Box 141107, Spokane Valley, WA 99214-1107.
This payment option offers instant posting with no processing fees. After you have established your online account by registering at modernelectricwater.com, you may pay your statement with E-Check, or with your VISA, Discover, MasterCard, or American Express credit or debit card.
Customer Service: (509) 928-4540
Telephone Customer Service hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (closed weekends and holidays)
Automatic Payment Program
The Automatic Payment Program automatically deducts the exact amount of your payment from your checking or savings account 14 days after your billing date. Withdrawal dates may vary slightly from month to month.
- After-Hours Drop Box located on south side of headquarters
- Rosauers: Sprague Avenue & University Road, Customer Service
- Yoke’s Fresh Market (two locations): 9329 East Montgomery and 13014 East Sprague, Customer Service
Your Financial Institution’s Online Bill-Pay Feature
Modern can accept third-party electronic payments sent from banks and credit unions. Please use your statement number as the payment reference.
Budget Billing Plan
By paying a fixed amount on your utility statement every month you can build up credit on your account in the summer to help offset the cost of (typically) higher energy usage during the winter months.
For more information, please call our Customer Service Center at (509) 928-4540 Extension 1, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The following is an overview of Modern Electric Water Company's Credit Policy:
- If payment is not made by the statement's grace period due date, Modern will print a reminder notice on the next billing statement and a late fee will be added to the previous balance.
- If the previous balance, plus the late fee, is not received, a final disconnection notice will be delivered to the customer's door. This notice state the final payment due date, the amount owing including all past due fees, and the date that service will be disconnected.
- If payment is not received before this final payment date, the electricity will be shut off without further notice or communication from Modern Electric Water Company. A service disconnection fee will be charged. When service is disconnected for non-payment, the past due amount, plus all late and reconnection fees, must be paid in full before service can be restored.
- Additional fees will apply: (a) reconnection during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays); (b) reconnection after-hours; and (c) reconnection for service disconnected at the power pole